Friday, June 03, 2005

Sloth

I had this plan to do a big post on the state of popular music as I see it. Alas, sloth has reared its heavy, deliberate head. Actually, it isn't so much sloth as the fact that we played a show last night and I'm really dragging.

We played at Subterranean for the Barristers Battle of the Bands, a charity show featuring bands that have at least one member in a legal profession. I guess I sort of count. It was a fun show, albeit a little sparsely attended. We played well. And it was nice to have a "live rehearsal" in advance of our show Saturday at Double Door.

The Saturday show is shaping up to be kick ass. It got some good write ups in the local papers. It's four really good bands full of good people. We have a great slot. And I have this feeling like we've been building towards a colossal show for a bit. Our last group of shows has been really strong. Even the weaker shows have been good. And we rehearsed twice this week and had the show last night, so everything should be pretty tight.

Of course now we'll probably bomb. Speaking of Double Door, there's this article in the Sun Times today. I've been hearing rumors about this situation for awhile, so it's good to finally get it out into the press with all the real information. I hope the owners are at least able to get their extension for four years. Given time, they're smart enough and well-connected enough to come up with a contingency plan for the inevitable. Heck, the name Double Door is so big they could probably move the club almost anywhere and have success.

Of course I would have said the same thing about The Lounge Ax.

jbg

No comments: