Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's only time after all, redux

In reading over my last post, I'm not sure I really got the core of how I was feeling when I wrote it. But it's nice to know somebody reads this thing.

As such, further thoughts and conversations regarding the issues of time and creativity yielded the following conclusions:

1. What was really bothering me was not my current lack of time to put towards songwriting: it was the question of whether I'll ever have enough time to satisfy my own self-imposed demands of and standards for being creative.

2. More than time per se, I was also frustrated over the pace at which I write songs, which is not a function of available time: it's a function of me and my process. I'm not Jason Molina or Ryan Adams, or any of these songwriters that just seem to crank out songs, even though I'd like to be that productive.

3. Jason Molina = Joyce Carol Oates = Tennessee Williams. Trust me. It's been proven by people waaaaaayyyy smarter than you or me.

4. Stephen King, while perhaps a model of productivity, is not so much one for quality. Or much of a spokesman for D.A.R.E.

5. Although I hold up Jason Molina as an example, I am not a party to his process. More likely than not, he writes more songs because he writes all the time. He writes just as much crap as anyone else, throws it out, and writes until he gets something he likes. That's just how it works.

6. Ditto for Beethoven. But in the past tense.

So it is always time, after all.

Always.

Really.

jbg

No comments: