Thursday, September 08, 2005

Ah Sleep

I'd like to see you again soon.

For whatever reason, you haven't been around much lately. Sometimes I sit up reading, writing or watching TV, hoping you'll call. Sometimes I stay up late carousing, hoping I'll bump into you. Sometimes I have to get up early to go to work and just miss you. Sometimes I wake up an hour before my alarm is set to go off and you're gone.

Tonight I've been on my knees for the last three hours ripping up carpet. That's not a euphemism. And I've got to get up in six hours to finish ripping up carpet.

Ah Sleep. I haven't seen your friend Mr. Sleeping Pill for a week now. Maybe he could convince you to see me again. Can't see you tomorrow night (teaching until late, getting up early) and Friday night's out (playing up in Madison, working Saturday morning), so let's set a date for Saturday.

Saturday it is then. That's when I'll next have the pleasure of your company. And if I play my cards right, maybe you'll even share my bed.

jbg

No comments: