Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lizards on my Mind

Damn. Is it Thursday already? How does that happen?

Man... Well... I guess it's been a fairly productive week so far. BRB didn't have rehearsal this week, which is bad in terms of, you know, making music, but good in terms of getting a few more hours of sleep. Another thing that's good for getting a few more hours of sleep is Target brand sleeping pills. I should get an endorsement for 'em. We tried the Whole Foods "natural" sleeping pills... which had, like, lizard penis in them or something... but all they did was make me attracted to that Geico gecko so... back to the good old chemicals.

Today, everything is pretty quiet around the house, which is nice. A chance to get a couple more advance CDs mailed out to people in the business. A chance to maybe take Hendrix for a walk to the park to play some frisbee. A chance to sit down a do a little bit of writing.

Writing... it's been a bit hard to find time to write lately. One of my unspoken (the best kind) New Year's resolutions was to get a little more disciplined about writing. I've been better about it at work (teaching) and those occasional half of an hour breaks have proven quite fertile. But at home, I still have to get better. And the thing is... I feel like there's something good coming down the pipeline.

We have a group of songs we'd like to record in March for a quick little EP... and then there's another group of songs I wrote in the fall/winter 2005... but what's been coming out lately seems like it's of an entirely different character, one I think I like more than anything else I've written. It's more honest, more direct, but still poetic and pretty sophisticated lyrically. Musically, it all seems simple, but I think once the band gets its hooks in it, there will be tons of room to overplay. I mean, explore.

So I'm thinking of junking the fall/winter 2005 songs for scraps, and trying to really focus on this new group of songs... try to expand them into enough for a full-length album while maintaining the character in the original 4 or 5 I've got started. The other thing that's striking me about these new songs is that the lyrics seem to be very cohesive, very thematic. What's the theme?

Dunno. Can't quite tell yet. But so far, all the songs have an almost... religious imagery that I seem to come back to over and over again, trying to frame it in a slightly different way. It all has a very searching, honest quality that I really like. And the nice thing about scrapping the old group of songs is that I can use some of the old lyrics in the new songs. I can see where I was already thinking about some of the current stuff I'm writing about, so the older lyrics, although nascent, should work well in some places thematically. Anyway, enough of that.

Our new website is up by the way. You can hear the entire album there. I like it that way. Now... why can't I stop thinking about those sweet sexy Budweiser lizards?

jbg

No comments: