Monday, March 13, 2006

Sundays...

So... it's been a long week, with little time to write entries here... a lot going on, a lot of work... Writing songs, however, has been extremely productive. Songs falling out of the sky like, well, you know what. And right now, it's pouring outside.

It's a Sunday night and it feels like it. There's lightening striking very close by, and our windows which let in generous sunlight during the daytime hours, seem to be taking back the low light from our warm house, pulling it into the storm and intermittent darkness. But we're safe. There's pheasant stew in the crock pot, barely 4 hours into a 10 hour simmer, and it's filling the house with all sorts of amazing aromas. Comforting aromas.

And we're safe. Some of us... well, three of us, are asleep on the couch. The one remaining is contemplating his songbook and working on the computer, wishing that his diligence would stay the work week completely, but knowing sleep must (should?) come and the inevitable will arrive. Ah sleep...

When I last wrote something approaching a coherent entry, I was smack in the middle of what turned out to be a true sleepless night. Perhaps it was that night that broke me completely and lead me to seek professional help for my seemingly worsening sleep patterns. But whatever it was, this is the last night for a while that I'll be willingly embracing my insomnia.

Starting tomorrow night, I'll be actively (an ironic word when used to describe sleep-related activity, I guess) pursuing a rigid, pharmaceutically enforced bedtime, as directed and prescribed by my doctor. At my annual physical last week, I raised the specter of my insomnia. After I told him how much and when I slept, my doctor informed me that my sleep habits were a disaster. No shit.

He also informed me that I exhibited many of the signs of depression. And that my sleep habits and my moods were most likely related. I do trust my doctor. He's a smoker. Which actually comforts me, for some reason. I don't know why. Anyway, he suggested that we try addressing my sleep habits first, in the hope that it would clarify my "mental health issues."

So I'll be trying out a course of Ambien, the sleep drug whose mascot is, I believe, a fluorescent butterfly. It is worth noting that, according to the commercials for Ambien, one of it's side effects is "drowsiness." No shit.

Anyway... I gave it a try on Friday night and it worked wonders. So it'll be interesting seeing how it goes over a longer period of time. Other than that...

I do have a great story about an eating experience we had about a week ago. Simply the best (and most expensive) meal I've ever eaten. But I'll save that. I should go to bed now. So instead, I'll share my latest creation, a song called resurrection. This song was written in, literally, about 10 collective minutes. I wrote the verse pattern in a split second on Thursday night in the midst of a lesson. The first verse was written on the train on Friday morning. The chorus (both music and words) and the second verse were written in about 5 minutes on Saturday morning at work. When we get the chance to record our next full-length record (hopefully entitled "The Dark Before the Dawn"), I would like for this song to close it. And for it to feature a group of gospel singers.

RESURRECTION Take this blood For it's not mine Take this sea And make it wine Take this mark It's yours to wear Take this cross It's yours to bear I'm on your side I'm on your side I'm on your side I'm on your side Take this sand It's yours to walk Take this door It's yours to lock Take this air It's yours to breathe Take this heart It's yours to leave I'm on your side I'm on your side I'm on your side I'm on your side

jbg

No comments: