Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Costello-ing Creativity

This article made me very very happy... In general, the release of music made by Elvis Costello is cause for celebration. The details of his new album seem to confirm this will again be the case... from the roster of talent, to the producer, to the tunes, to the actual name of the album... Secret, Profane & Sugarcane Say it out-loud.

Wow.

The link in the article to Elvis' website/journal is even better... there's a fantastic, song-by-song (perhaps these are the liner notes even?) and player-by-player breakdown, ostensibly written by the man himself. I just love reading what creative people write about creativity... it's no substitute for actual creativity obviously, but it does provoke ideas and allow one to perform a kind of self-analysis of one's own creative process, one's own goals and agenda...

From this particular piece, two quotes stood out (where have I written that before?):

"Sometimes I think it actually steals a little from the listener to say exactly what a song contains." 

"There are undeniable threads and themes of rivers and oceans traveled, of bondage and guilt, of shame and retribution, of piety, profanity, lust and love, though only the last of these is absolute. There are always contradictions. The music offers the way out. It offers the way home."

Regarding the first... I feel like I've been wrestling with this idea since the Post-Modern Philosophy class I took in college called The Death of the Author... in which we examined the idea of who determines the meaning of a piece of art: the author or the perceiver. As this blog evidences, I lean towards disclosing as many details about the art I create as I feel comfortable... but I sometimes wonder if it's better to just leave it up to the listener to interpret with nothing but the actual piece of art. 

Regarding the second quote... Really, what more is there to say? The King has spoken.

jbg

No comments: