Thursday, May 28, 2009

Near

What a blur... The last few weeks I mean. Seriously. Our release party on the 17th was a resounding success... I will have more fallout from that event to report very soon... I hope.

Of course, there has been the inevitable let down... which, in this case, has taken the form of some bizarre spring cold, which has been harassing me for over a week now... and has cut into my morning writing time... every last bit of sleep has become more valuable so staying in bed has taken precedent. 

But yesterday and today have been better, and I've been able to resume my dawn-lit creativity... It is such an interesting change writing first thing in the morning... I think I mentioned, but most of writing up to this point in my life has been evening writing... or late night writing... So stumbling out of bed into a cup of coffee and my guitar as the sun rises has been like discovering a different way to write.

So far, I've pushed (and not without some effort) out 5 or so new tunes, 2 of which are really strong, and a bunch of additional pieces and fragments. The new stuff is... different. As it should be. I'm still not really sure where it's all going, but I'm starting to get to the point at which the material starts feeding back on itself, creating a little echo chamber... where themes start to emerge and in turn further influence the subject matter and musical content of the even newer writing.

Maybe the best of these new tunes (maybe the best song I've ever written?) is a quiet and sweet ballad entitled Near. Enjoy...

NEAR Restless dreams Are taking flight Along the darkness Of a quiet night On the heights Of the avenue We make our lives Within these rooms Close your eyes I'll dry your tears When you wake I'll be near In the sky Beneath the planes You breathe in time I try to do the same We rise at dawn We ride the trains And dream of growing old And of trembling again Close your eyes I'll dry your tears When you wake I'll be near When you wake I'll be near

jbg

No comments: