Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Summer Break

It seemed appropriate to my recent mindset that we finally got some rain last night.

The last few weeks have been begging for a summer storm, anything to break the oppressive heat and humidity. Certain days, we seemed to be on track for something big, only to have it pass just to the north or south. Or maybe as the clouds formed our hearts and heads would swell in anticipation of some relief, only to see just enough rain to dampen the scorched grass.

Monday evening, I felt sure it was going to happen... I stood on our back porch and watched the heat lightening intensify, smelled the air fill with water, watched the sky race to the northeast and blacken to near darkness. And then... a few drops. Not even enough to wet the cracked sidewalk in our backyard.

Tuesday was a coda, the kind that breaks a song down to almost nothing before building it back to where it seemed to end and then lifting it to new heights. The storm kicked ass is what I'm trying to say. And it felt like the break in the weather was somehow tied to my week in that for the first time in as long as I can remember I had nothing to do on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Finally, a bit of a break in a busy summer.

Nothing to do outside of work that it. We took the week off of practice after playing our final scheduled summer festival on Saturday, the Sheffield Garden Walk. The Garden Walk was very cool. Well, it was actually pretty hot. But not as hot as it was supposed to be, and certainly not as hot as it wound up being on Sunday.

The organizer of the festival, Dan, turned out to be a stealth fan of ours. He saw us at House of Blues, got our EP, and was very vocal in his support. Our manager told us Dan knew the lyrics to all the songs of our EP.

Very cool. Hopefully we'll play the SGW again next year. The staff was incredible to us and we played really well. I had barely gotten my gear offstage when I was accosted by a woman with a menu demanding to know what kind of free food she could bring me.

Seriously.

I was frazzled and ordered a pork sandwich. (Good Jew, I ain't.) Said woman looked at me incredulously and said "That's it?" So I ordered two slices of stuffed pizza.

Good times.

Sunday we went to see Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Monday we stayed home from work and watched movies.

Tuesday we opened up our hermetically sealed window and breathed in the cool air.

jbg

No comments: