Monday, October 17, 2005

A week in review

So last week I tried a new approach to socializing... instead of taking it easy on the weeknights and going out on the weekend, I went out Monday through Thursday nights, stayed in Friday and Saturday nights, and threw a little party on Sunday afternoon. Just to, you know, mix things up.

Monday, my good friend Pete was in town from NYC and we drank some wine to celebrate the publication of his first cookbook.

Tuesday, I joined my good friend Colin at the Andersonville staple Hopleaf to celebrate his move to NYC where he'll begin his career as a superstar lawyer. We stayed at Hopleaf too late, and he, his friend Chris, and I got into the stupidest argument ever about Barack Obama, stereotypical Democrats that we are.

Wednesday, I stayed in the Loop a little bit late and met up with our manager Paul to discuss the album and try to put a few of the last remaining issues to bed. I don't know if we succeeded, but it was a good meeting nonetheless.

Thursday, I met up with Barret's brother Collin at the Cork Lounge to, er, transact some kilt-related business and have a few cocktails to celebrate our kilt-related accomplishment. Such as it was.

So Friday left me feeling a little... dehydrated. After working Saturday, and taking it easy again Saturday night, AJ and Sarah (and Doc briefly) joined us to watch the Bears and drink bloody marys. A carrot cake with Bears- inspired frosting baked by a future famous pastry chef was consumed, as were snacks.

Comcast cable was cursed for relegating us to standing around in the bedroom watching the game on a tiny TV screen with rabbit-ear reception, and doubly cursed for their worthless customer "service" "hot"line. e.g.

Joe: Hi, our cable's out. What's the story?
Comcast Representative (no doubt drooling on phone): Is your internet out too?
J: I don't know. I'm calling about the cable.
CR: Yes. I can see your cable's out. We have confirmation of that. Yes. There's an outage.
J: Okay... can you tell me when it might be back on?
CR: Yes. There's an outage.
J: I get that. I'm looking at a black screen with the words "One moment please. This channel will be available shortly" only "one moment" should read "one hour" and "shortly" should read "after that game is over" at the rate we're going.
CR: That's because there's an outage.
J (growing red in the face, banging phone on head): ...

Service was returned early in the second half, which reflected the Bears' performance: their first half play was barely worthy of 12" antenna-based resolution, while the second half translated nicely to crisp 27" digital goodness. There was much celebration.

So now we're back to Monday... this week I think I will avoid last week's social calendar in favor of rest and meditation, specifically paying attention to the growing amount of song-related material that seems to be gathering in my head and piling up on the pages of my notebook regardless of the hours I keep.

So many songs, so little time.

jbg

No comments: