Thursday, June 22, 2006

Underworn

If good things come in threes... then I've got a set. (Yes, that's an attempt at a poker reference.)

1. Gina graduates from The French Pastry School tomorrow. 2. My great friends from high school Pete and Hannah got engaged. 3. My little sister and her boyfriend Will got engaged. Whew. 

All excellent. My sister and Will announced their engagement on Sunday at Father's Day brunch, which was attended by us, my parents, and my grandparents. I am so happy for them. The protective older brother in me knows that my sister has found a truly fantastic person who respects her and loves her the way a spouse should. So I don't have to kick some ass. Not that I'm the ass kicking type. Or the type that wins ass kicking contests. I digress.

Tomorrow, Gina will graduate and in two weeks she'll begin a six month stint back at school as an intern. 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. She finished up working for Gary Lee last Friday, so we've officially begun a half year of being a single income family. Okay... now that I've written that sentence, I'll go (as my Grandpa would say) change my shorts.

But I know we'll be okay. We've been planning for this and we do have some options to cushion the impact of going from two earners to one. And having that one earner be a musician. And... another change of shorts.

Maybe the stress of this change has been on my mind lately, but I've been feeling exhausted and worn down. But I am looking forward to playing at Pontiac Cafe tonight as part of MOB Fest. We'll be playing acoustic, with me on acoustic guitar and Barret playing Bodhran and couple of other auxiliary percussion instruments. We've been rehearsing in this configuration for the last couple weeks, and it's been fun to reinvent the tunes in a quieter setting.

The show tonight is free and we play at 9:00. More info at our website. Now... I gotta head out to Target and pick up a couple of things for the weekend. Including some new shorts.

jbg

No comments: