Thursday, April 28, 2005

Like a Rolling Stone(.com)

Here's an interesting page that came to my attention yesterday.

Pretty cool. I'm not completely sure how it happened, but I think it was through our CD Baby page.

They have a digital distribution which sends music out to various online merchants, one of which was Rhapsody, which I believe is partnered with Rollingstone.com. In the next few months we'll likely also become part of the sprawling nexus of musical commerce that is iTunes.

So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

This kind of stuff makes me think our strategy of using our EP as an advance for our full-length album is going to pay off. By the time we get the album done and pressed and out, we will have used the EP to set up a pretty good distribution apparatus and to make good media contacts. So in the event that we don't find a label interested in working with us, we'll be able to solicit press and get the music into people's hands (and iPods) pretty quickly.

Revisiting the EP is interesting. Actually, listening to any of one's past recordings is always interesting.

The Burn Rome Burn EP is the first recording I've been a part of that has aged well for me. When I listen to it now, a year-plus after the fact, it still sounds pretty good to me. Not without its problems, but overall it's a really good snapshot of where we were as a band at the time it was recorded.

There a good energy to it, a certain focus and deliberateness that has been lacking in my past projects. Hopefully, it'll wind up being the first of many recordings by BRB that withstand the test of time.

jbg

No comments: