Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Progress

Okay... it only took me an hour to figure out how to get my picture on this page.

Not so much tech-savvy here.

Ah well.

I guess everybody's got a routine they follow throughout the week. For most people, Monday through Friday involve getting up at the same time and going to work. My schedule sets up a little differently...

Monday, Wednesday and Friday I'm up pretty early and heading downtown to the Prudential Building to fake my way through the world of corporate law at the self-proclaimed "largest law firm in the world," Baker & McKenzie. Oops. I mean Baker & McKenzie LLP. For legal reasons. Because years ago, some lawyer decided to throw M & M's down a secretary's blouse.

And she sued.

Really.

So... Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I work as a Paralegal in the Immigration Practice Group at B & M. I wear pants and tuck in my shirt. Most of the time.

I get curious looks for sporting long hair, a beard, and my uncanny resemblance (thank you Mr. Nose) to a certain fairly popular religious figurehead who's name begins with a J, ends with an S, and has a "ESU" in the middle.

What do I get for braving the world of corporate immigration three times a week?

Well, a paycheck for one thing. Health insurance for another. A 401(k). A measure of security. And the nice thing is, the people I work for and with are incredibly understanding about my music. I essentially come and go as I please and still get vacation and sick time. I'm more or less left alone to do my work. I'll spare you a dissertation on what I actually do at B & M, but let's just say it's repetitive and not all that intellectually rewarding.

But I shouldn't complain about anything having to do with B & M... hell, I work 20 hours a week there and still have an office on the 36th floor with a window. Actual natural light. Not too bad.

On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday I teach guitar (and some bass) at Village Music School in Deerfield. I have about 35 students a week. Private half-hour lessons. If it sounds like a lot, well, sometimes it is. But the vast majority of my students are great. My teaching style, at least what I go for, is a combination of laid-back personality and genuine passion for all things music. I try not to judge what the kids are listening to and bringing in, and focus more on getting them excited about some aspect of music, whether it's improvisation, music theory, playing tunes, or songwriting. Even the crappiest music has some teaching value.

I've had some of these kids for over two years now and watching them develop as musicians and people is pretty interesting and generally rewarding. I digress. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I don't start teaching until 3:00 pm, so I get the morning and early afternoon to myself.

These are important times for me... sometimes I have things to do: doing work on the building we own, running an errand, picking up or cleaning. But some days, I get to sleep in a little bit, make a pot of coffee, and enjoy the morning. Usually these days will include an hour or two of serious songwriting. And by serious songwriting I mean really getting into the crafting of a song, often something I've written on the train coming home from work on a Monday or Wednesday (my love/hate of the CTA is a story for another time).

This Tuesday is shaping up as a perfect songwriting day.

First off, it's raining, great for the mood.

Secondly, my lovely wife Gina is currently in Milan, Italy, so it's just me, our dog Hendrix, and our cat Phoebe.

Letter C, I've got two songs that have been screaming for attention. The first (working title: Regret) is a folky number in 3. The second (working title: Dance Song in 7) is... a dance song in 7.

Doh. Anyway... better get to work on 'em before the gym and teaching.

I'll post any progress tonight if it's worth posting.

Cheers.

jbg

No comments: