Monday, April 18, 2005

Strong News

Every Monday I get a copy of Newsweek in the mail.

I usually get home from work, and spend an hour or so reading it.

Many of the issues leave me feeling like the magazine should be called Newsweak. Very little depth, irrelevant cover stories, gossip about Britney Spears' baby. No wonder it only takes me an hour to read it cover to cover.

However, this week's issue is one of the best in recent memory, if only for the opinion columns. Jonathan Alter has a column on the recent bankruptcy bill and what it says about our government's priorities.

The always reliable Fareed Zakaria has a column entitled Conservative Contradictions, which starts ostensibly as a discussion of John Bolton's nomination for the position of Ambassador to the United Nations, but segues into a nice discussion of the benefits of global governing bodies.

The hit-or-miss Jane Bryant Quinn hits with as compelling and number-based an evaluation of the privatization of Social Security debate and the choices it entails as I've seen.

And just when I thought he would spoil my complete enjoyment of this week's issue, George Will delivers a column on... Greg frickin' Maddux. Baseball is the one subject on which Mr. Will and I completely agree and his baseball-related columns are consistently good and interesting reads.

So I say cheers for this week's columns.

Now let's see if they can do it two weeks in a row.

jbg

No comments: