Monday, April 25, 2005

Studious

Spent another Sunday in the studio getting some good work done on the vocals. It seems to be getting easier as we go along, with each song happening a little faster. Yesterday we got a strong lead vocal take done on the song Nothing's Changed, which will probably be the first song on the album. It's also the oldest song (with the exception of Mermaid) and it was actually written while we were recording our EP in late 2003/early 2004.

I was able to take a rough mix of it home to listen to, and I can already see that it will help me out a lot in terms of working out background vocals. I'm really interested in focusing in on background vocals for this album, because it's something that I think has been lacking from previous projects I've sung on.

And Nothing's Changed is a perfect candidate because it's a short poppy tune that has single potential. So I want to make sure it's as polished as possible. After we got the lead vocal track done, we messed around a bit with The Soft Drown and Seraphim Do Mar.

However, having really put a ton into Nothing's Changed, I wasn't projecting quite well enough to get anything else finalized. Still, I think we'll settle into aiming for getting one lead vocal track done per session, and then going back and working on backgrounds for the previous session's song after I run out of steam. Backgrounds aren't as demanding energy-wise, so even if I'm a little burned out, I should still be able to get some backgrounds and/or mults done every session.

Nothing's Changed has really taken on a Coldplay/U2 vibe, which is cool. Looking back on the lyrics, I think they're okay. A little simple, but in a good way. I like the sentiment too, the whole idea of thinking you've broken out of a situation or relationship, and then having it kind of crash back onto you without warning and seeing that you really haven't changed at all. I think everybody's got something like this in their life. Looking at the lyrics for the whole album, that seems to be an undercurrent to a lot of it.

Hmmmm.

The lyrics to Nothing's Changed:

Living in yesterday it's hard
To know exactly what went wrong (what went wrong?)
Did it crash and burn and leave you lying there
In the dark before the dawn?

Chorus: I went looking for you
Are you looking for me?
Just when it seemed like we weren't the same
Somehow nothing's changed

The consequence is creeping in
The last goodbye was like the first (like the first)
Bloodshot eyes and cloudy skies and you
I don't know which of them is worst

CHORUS

I want to know
Where you go

CHORUS

jbg

No comments: